I've been inspired by this month's cupcake love workshop! I first had this idea when I was making my daughters rainbow layered birthday cake. It was so simple, just layer chocolate, vanilla and then strawberry cake mix! I'll be honest, I was hoping for a more uniform layered look, I even used a piping bag to make sure there were definite layers, but I kinda like the marbley affect these turned out having. I'm still baffled at how the chocolate batter made its way up to the top all the way from the bottom, if anyone knows how to get a good layered look, fill me in!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
- 6-8 fluid ounces heavy whipping cream
- Cream butter and shortening until fluffy. Add confectioner's sugar and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy.
I have a jar of candy corn on my counter (yes...already) and so while I was making the neapolitan ones, I got the idea to do some candy corn cupcakes, I just dyed some of the vanilla batter yellow and orange. Too bad Halloween it still 2 months away! Oh well, they still tasted good!
To have your ideas featured on Crazy Domestic, click HERE